Saturday, February 5, 2011

OGI DIY OMG

I try to be handy around the house. I can do some of the smaller projects like faucet replacement, running electrical circuits, and the like. I had limited success with room renovation, so I started hiring experts. OK, I really messed up one project, and I had to get outside help. Despite my setbacks, I found that my experience with small projects helped me evaluate contractors and help with planning and technical decisions. I could understand the need for prep work, and I usually knew why things were done in a certain order.

Why am I spending valuable pixels talking about home projects? My experience as a homeowner seems very similar to what some high-level IT folks in the federal government are discovering with document management. In last week's entry, I mentioned how one department was clearly taking on a monumental conversion project with untrained staff and inadequate equipment. Instead of meeting the demands of the administration, the department has implemented a solution that's a couple orders of magnitude below what's needed. In the mighty triad of money, quality, and time, they have chosen low money, no quality, and infinite time.

What this department will find, as I did, is that doing it once the right way is a lot cheaper, faster, and better than doing it twice. It's even better than doing it once and being totally unsatisfied. Once again, putting the benefit ahead of the means can save a lot of headache. I'm a big fan of experts. I can't always take their advice, but I have modified my plans many times based on the knowledge that comes from their profession. I hope this department, and others like it, will solicit advice on document management from experts like, well, me. It's not rocket science, and if it is, that's what rocket scientists are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment